Electric meters has been around almost if not as long as the power industry started providing commercial electricity. It provides a way for power companies to determine the amount of electricity the public consumes making it possible to charge the consumers accordingly. Given the long history of electric meters, different types of electric meters has been released and used across the world over the passage of time. As of today, the available electric meters range from analog, digital and smart electric meters from JSG. Though some countries have limited options of electric meters, other countries allow consumers to have multiple choice of electric meters. Nonetheless, people who want to purchase and use an electric meter will still have to spend some time choosing. Here are the things to consider in choosing your electric meter.
- Accuracy – People want and deserve to only pay what they consumed or used. An accurate electric meter will make consumers feel at ease since they do not think they are cheated with their bills. Digital electric meter is among the most accurate electric meters available. Analog electric meters are still accurate up to the single digit reading.
- Compatibility – Though there are a lot of electric meters available, there are different restrictions in different power companies. You need to know which electric meters are allowed by your power company before purchasing one. This will prevent you from spending money on electric meters which you cannot use.
- Features – Though electric meters have the same function of measuring power consumption, some electric meters provide readings on different increments which can be weekly or monthly. Some would record consumptions on previous months. On the other hand, some electric meter are prepaid while others are directly connected to the power companies and the power consumption is recorded in the company without having to send a utility man to do a manual reading on site.
- Readability – No matter how advance an electric meter is, it will be useless if the owner cannot read the data properly. Make sure you can easily read the different data in the electric meter without asking any help. This will allow you to monitor your consumption properly without any worries of being cheated.
- Cost – The prices of electric meters vary. You don’t need to force yourself to purchase an advance electric meter if it is not necessary. A simple electric meter will suffice at the beginning and you can simply upgrade your electric meter when it is convenient for you.
Most power companies will provide their consumers their own electric meters while others will require a purchased electric meter to be calibrated first before it can be used.